Subject: choosing dependencies and suggested USE_LINUX_PAM_PKG
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 12:32:24
I am using pkgsrc for entire (Linux) OS.

I would like to suggest some new options for using packaged software
(usually libraries) instead of assuming to use system provided versions.

For example, pine under Linux uses -lpam and -lncurses.

I made a security/linux-pam package with buildlink2.mk.

Then under my pine I have:

 .elif ${OPSYS} == "Linux"
 BUILDNAME= lrh
 BUILDFILE= lnx
+. if defined(USE_LINUX_PAM_PKG)
+.   include "../../security/linux-pam/buildlink2.mk"
+. endif

(I moved  .include "../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk"  higher.)

I'll assume USE_LINUX_PAM_PKG if defined (not be default) means USE_PAM
too.

I plan to do same for ncurses too, like "USE_NCURSES_PKG" will
include devel/ncurses/buildlink2.mk.

Related to this idea would be for other dependencies too that are not
currently recorded. So maybe I should just have one switch for all instead
of multiple USE_*_PKG.

Any comments or suggestions?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/