Subject: Re: typesetting music with TeX
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 08:11:58
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Dave wrote:

> 1)  There's a small C program buried in the MusixTeX source tree that
> needs to be compiled with a simple "cc -o musixflx musixflx.c".  I tried
> this:
>
> pre-install:
> 	(cd ${WRKSRC}/systems/c-source/ && ${CC} -o musixflx musixflx.c)

1) The parenthesis spawn an another subshell, besides the one already
spawned for the target, so leave them out, as that is inefficient.

2) I would make that "pre-build" or "post-build", rather than
pre-install, as it's clearly more closely related to building,
than installing.

> That got the program compiled, but when doing "make install", I get a
> distracting "make: cannot open Makefile.".  How do I get rid of that
> message?

"Makefile" is probably coming from bsd.pkg.mk's setting of
${MAKEFILE}. If the makefile is actually named "makefile", for
instance, you can set ``MAKEFILE= makefile'' in the package's
"Makefile. That may even eliminate the need for your step one.

By the way, you can get voluminous debugging information from "make"
itself by adding the "-dv" switch. You'll want to redirect standard
out to a file, to pore over it all.

> 2)  According to what the FreeBSD install, I should install
> ${WRKSRC}/tex/musixtex.fmt to ${PREFIX}/share/texmf/web2c.  This file
> "musixtex.fmt" is missing from the tarball.  According to
> ${WRKSRC}/systems/dos/makefmt.bat, one can create this file with the
> DOS command "tex386 -i -mt25000 &ec-plain musixtex.ins %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
> %7 %8 %9".  What would be the function of this file and how can I recreate
> it under NetBSD?  Do I even need to bother?

See the teTeX documentation for a description of "format" memory
dumps. [I won't try to explain it to you, since I don't understand it
all myself. ;-)] You create then with "initex", but "initex"  doesn't
seem to take the "-mt25000" argument, so go figure. Maybe check the
CTAN archives, or probably

	initex '&ec-plain' musixtex.ins

would get you something useful.

> 3)  port2pkg apparently improperly puts "NO_WRKSUBDIR=  yes" into the new
> Makefile.  Running make on such a Makefile results in a complaint that one
> should use "WRKSRC= ${WRKDIR}" now.

"port2pkg" is suffering from lack of use. Just make the change.
[Submit a patch for "port2pkg", if you like. ;-)]

Frederick