Subject: Re: typesetting music with TeX
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 02:08:08
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dave wrote:

> > > I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first. ;-)
> > >
> > > If you've never created a package from scratch (or even if you have),
> > > try out the "url2pkg" package.
> >
> > Well, there's a FreeBSD port for MusixTeX, so I've something to go on
> > there.  I'm quite sure url2pkg will be needed for BagpipeTeX.
>
> There's also a "port2pkg" package, for importing FreeBSD ports, but
> it's probably easier to start from scratch (or with "url2pkg").

Well, I found "port2pkg" on my own.  After using that and comparing what I
had to some other TeX add ons, I've come up with something that I think
will work.

Problems:

1)  There's a small C program buried in the MusixTeX source tree that
needs to be compiled with a simple "cc -o musixflx musixflx.c".  I tried
this:

pre-install:
	(cd ${WRKSRC}/systems/c-source/ && ${CC} -o musixflx musixflx.c)

That got the program compiled, but when doing "make install", I get a
distracting "make: cannot open Makefile.".  How do I get rid of that
message?

2)  According to what the FreeBSD install, I should install
${WRKSRC}/tex/musixtex.fmt to ${PREFIX}/share/texmf/web2c.  This file
"musixtex.fmt" is missing from the tarball.  According to
${WRKSRC}/systems/dos/makefmt.bat, one can create this file with the
DOS command "tex386 -i -mt25000 &ec-plain musixtex.ins %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
%7 %8 %9".  What would be the function of this file and how can I recreate
it under NetBSD?  Do I even need to bother?

3)  port2pkg apparently improperly puts "NO_WRKSUBDIR=  yes" into the new
Makefile.  Running make on such a Makefile results in a complaint that one
should use "WRKSRC= ${WRKDIR}" now.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu