Subject: Re: typesetting music with TeX
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 01:49:18
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dave wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dave wrote:
> >
> > > I'm interested in getting MusixTeX and BagpipeTeX added to the pkgsrc
> > > tree.  In the interest of avoiding needlessly-duplicated work, does anyone
> > > have any patches to pkgsrc lying around that might be useful for this job?
> >
> > I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first. ;-)
> >
> > If you've never created a package from scratch (or even if you have),
> > try out the "url2pkg" package.
>
> Well, there's a FreeBSD port for MusixTeX, so I've something to go on
> there.  I'm quite sure url2pkg will be needed for BagpipeTeX.

There's also a "port2pkg" package, for importing FreeBSD ports, but
it's probably easier to start from scratch (or with "url2pkg").

> So, I guess the proper procedure is make sure I have something that works,
> post patches here, and wait for someone to say something?

The recommended procedure is to send-pr, as outlined in Section 11 of
Packages.txt. (Try "less +/Submitting /usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt"). Of
course, ask here if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Frederick