Subject: Re: installing libs from lang/gcc*
To: Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 14:50:32
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:33:13PM -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:

> My own gcc3 is, well, my own.  I don't think the pkgsrc version works,
> it was just my own install and I got confused (didn't install correctly
> or whatever).

It should work (now). Success or failure reports are welcome :-)

I also have an update for lang/gcc which is not yet committed (it
needs some tidying up for NetBSD).

> > What do you all think? Should it default for
> >  GCC_PREFIX=             ${PREFIX}
> > for Linux and all non-NetBSD too?
>
> Yes, I think so.  And even for NetBSD some magic is needed.

I don't think this is the right approach - I believe users should be
able to have multiple versions of gcc (or any other compiler)
installed and choose which they want to use via a make variable.

If the compiler and pkgsrc DTRT, this should not be a problem at all.

g.