Subject: feedback from "make install"
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2003 13:19:20
Hello everyone,

Last night I tried to install perl.  I ran "make install" and nothing
happened, no message, no error, nothing.  I set PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 and even
that output was unrevealing.  Confused and desperate, I sent a message to
the netbsd-help and went to bed.

I should have done the reverse.  This morning, to my chagrin and delight,
I find that perl is in fact already installed (must have been a dependency
from another package).  So, no problem, next time I'll know better.

I think though perhaps I'm not the first one to be confused?  It might be
a good idea for "make install" to issue a message if the package is
already installed.  Perhaps it could inspect the database and just say,
"perl-x.x.x is already installed" or run "pkg_info perl5 |more".  I don't
know.  I wasn't at my best or most alert last night, but that happens to
everyone sooner or later.

For your consideration.

--jkl