Subject: Re: everything is a dependency and preventing removal
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2003 19:59:52
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:41:50AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>
> > Not sure about appriciation, but I've been wondering for a while now
> > if we shouldn't add some kind of analogy of an immutable flag to
> > packages, which would prevent pkg_delete from deleting a package if it
> > was present.  This might be in the form of yet another variable that
> > gets sprinkled around package Makefiles, and stored in the package
> > metadata in ${PKG_DBDIR}, or maybe just a simple chmod in/on the
>
> > Anyway, "we're working on it".
>
> Excellent! Please let us know, so we can help test (or code).
>
> Thank you for your comments.

Check out the new PKG_PRESERVE definition I added today, along with
corresponding support for it in the pkg_install tools in the src/
system.

Yes, these mods need to be copied from src/ to pkgsrc/pkg_install and
also into othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc, but I ran out of the small amount
of time I had today for doing these things.  If no-one gets to it
before me, I'll try to do something next week.

Regards,
Alistair