Subject: security fixes and 1.6 branch of pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2003 16:59:30
Hei,

For our server running NetBSD-1.6 I stuck to the pkgsrc 1.6 branch as
I hoped and expected it would ease maintanance of the packages it has
installed and ease incorporating security fixes that would appear soon
on that branch. However, it seems to me that the 1.6 branch is all but
left and forgotten and security fixes arrive late, if ever, compared
to pkgsrc-current. I don't know whether I am `the only user' of the
1.6 branch that was hoping for quick security patches or that the 1.6
branch is lacking manpower. Currently I am waiting for security
patches to about 5 packages (already patched/upgraded on
pkgsrc-current). This is not a complaint, nor is it a problem report.

I simply want to know whether the 1.6 branch is abandoned in practice,
or whether it is temporarily a bit behind, as with the current status
I will switch back to pkgsrc-current. Should I?

Thanks,

Feico.