Subject: Re: use of NO_PATCH considered unhelpful
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/27/2002 17:32:53
On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 02:41:22PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> i note that for pkgs that exist only in pkgsrc (ie, there is no other
> distribution point, such as pkglint, digest, etc), NO_PATCH is
> typically set (well...defined) in the makefile.  of course, if there
> *were* to be patches, it would be just as straightforward for one to
> fix the actual code than to make a patch.  simpler, even.
>
> however it makes it rather difficult to apply *local* patches to these
> programs.
>
> in the case of pkglint (which i was just mucking with), adding a
> do-extract target to the makefile (to do the copying from the files
> directory to the work directory) and unsetting NO_PATCH made
> everything happy again.
>
> is there any reason this new idea might not be encouraged?

NO_PATCH is a throwback to the old days before we had digests on the
patches/patch-* files.

I think we should just delete any occurrences of this from the pkgsrc
Makefiles - it doesn't buy us anything (maybe a few less cycles used),
but it stops us applying local patches, as you've noted.

Regards,
Alistair