Subject: Re: Changing order of update process
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/25/2002 10:11:27
On Tuesday 24 December 2002 11:09, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> >     deinstall --> build --> install

> >     build --> deinstall --> install
> I've worked out an inchoate system to do just that -- update in place:

Cool.  I must check this out later.

> Some known problems:
> 1) isn't very friendly about overriding the dependency
> search targets, so to make that work, I've sacrificed just-in-time-su.
> Therefore, you have to install as root.

Not a problem for me.  I don't see any difference between installing as root
or automatically entering the root password every time it asks for it.

> 2) With current, you need to install GNU tar, and set ${GTAR} in the
> environment.

What features do you depend on?

> 3) Once you've rebuilt something like "png", you're ultimately going
> to have to rebuild all the intermediate dependencies (in any case).
> The pain is only deferred. If you've forgotten that you updated a root
> package with lots of dependencies, you're might be surprised, when you
> go to update a "gnome" package, to see many packages being rebuilt.

I don't care if it takes two days to install a package as long as I can use my
system while all of the packages get rebuilt.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>