Subject: Re: Changing order of update process
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/24/2002 15:25:24
On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 08:29:24AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> It bit me again so I thought I would make the suggestion again.  If it's a bad
> idea please feel free to tell me why.
>
> I just went to install one package and woumd up rebuilding my entire KDE.  I
> don't mind so much as I assume that there were good reasons for going to the
> nb1 version of the package but I hate the way it makes the system unusable
> for hours.  The problem is that it deletes everything and then rebuilds it
> all.  I wonder why we don't change the update process from
>
>     deinstall --> build --> install

>     build --> deinstall --> install

The problem with this was (before buildlink2) that some packages
found their own headers of the installed old version and then had
trouble building -- I guess this is much better now _with_ buildlink2,
but since USE_BUILDLINK2 is not the default for all packages (yet?)
we are not ready to switch the order yet.
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at
What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find