Subject: Re: updating installed packages
To: None <>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2002 16:01:30 (Julio Merino) wrote :

> Just use "make replace" instead of "make update" for the package
> you want to update.

make replace warns itself as an expermimental target, which further
requires pkg_tarup.

I always use "cd bar/foo && pkg_delete -f foo && make clean reinstall",
and so far my tree seems (as reported by pkg_admin) in good condition...

I guess the important thing is to use "reinstall" target, am I right ?

Could you explain the difference between "delete/reinstall" and
"replace" ?

PS : considering how often this question comes up in tech-pkg, perhaps a
paragraph in the packages sections on would be useful ?

PPS : funny, I'm just in the process updatin my packages, I've spend a
couple of hours on it :-)