Subject: updating installed packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Terrance Thompson <terrancepthompson@yahoo.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2002 14:40:48
A while ago I got fed up with using `make update' and
waiting for a *long* time for some packages (e.g. KDE)

to be reinstalled multiple times.

I've since been updating packages that are multiply
depended on by forcibly deleting them - `pkg_delete -f

foo' - and then reinstalling - `make' and `make
install'.

Everything has worked fine so far, but I'm not 100%
confident that this is a sound thing do be doing. Is
there any reason that this is not a sensible venture?

One other thing. The NOCLEAN option stops `make
update'
from cleaning after installing, so would setting this
help with the make update problem? I.e. it would just
run `make install' multiple times and not `make'.

-Terrance