Subject: Re: Zoularis/Solaris 9
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/14/2002 20:12:34
* On 2002-12-14 at 14:47 GMT, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:52:23PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>
> > * On 2002-12-12 at 21:23 GMT, MLH wrote:
> >
> > > 2) What is the proper mechanism for building X-based packages
> > > without trashing /usr/X-> /usr/openwin?
> >
> > I use pkgtools/xpkgwedge on my box as /usr/openwin is on NFS which I
> > don't have root on.  It's defined NOT_FOR_PLATFORM=SunOS-*-* but I've
> > yet to hit a problem with around 60 packages installed.  Installs
> > everything under ${LOCALBASE}.
>
> Removing the NOT_FOR_PLATFORM "just works"? What is your pkgsrc date?

For me, yes.  I cvs up pkgsrc daily, and have used xpkgwedge for about a
month.  The caveat is that I've not spent more than 2 minutes actually
looking at what xpkgwedge does, and therefore have no idea why it isn't
allowed by default for openwin.  Whoever wrote the pkg in the first
place will be in a much better position to answer the technical queries,
however it works for me with what I perceive to be no problems, and
others may find the same (although I won't be held responsible :)

My reply, in hindsight, probably wasn't helpful as the original question
asked for the "proper" way.  I also would like the answer to that
question :)

--
Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services
24x7 Hotline: +44 (0)1628 407 777 (x37777) - http://support.bbc.co.uk/