Subject: Re: gnome-vfs[2] w/ USE_X11BASE= ?
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2002 17:37:49
On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 07:32, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> pkgsrc/sysutils/gnome-vfs/Makefile 1.23  ... has not
> pkgsrc/sysutils/gnome-vfs2/Makefile v1.4  ... has, so therefore:
>
> [...]

  Yes, that's right.  Gtk-1 packages reside in X11PREFIX while Gtk-2
packages reside in LOCALBASE.  Ideally, all of them should be in
LOCALBASE, but for historical reasons, they are not ...

> ...am i being pesemistic here, or the GNOME2 conversion going to get
> messy >:}

  I wouldn't agree with you based on just the libraries.  The GNOME1 and
GNOME2 libraries have been designed to co-exist, so that shouldn't
really be a problem.

  However, having said that, unfortunately, the GNOME2 applications in
many cases are not designed to coexist with their GNOME1 counterparts.
That makes porting GNOME2 much messier than it should have been.  While
GNOME2 provides a means of renaming programs so that the can live
peacefully together with GNOME1 programs, this does not work out of the
box with most programs ...

  The goal for porting GNOME2 is to let it coexist with GNOME1 where it
matters, because a lot of users (and pkgsrc developers, for that matter)
still use GNOME1 for numerous reasons.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene