Subject: Python packages.
To: None <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/09/2002 22:36:53
I count 7 ...pkgsrc/lang/python* packages (one is just "python", but it's
not immediately clear to me if I can use it to unify the other 6 and their

Some things seem to want the 2.1 or 2.2 version; others want 2.0, and I
think that I even had one application load the 1.5 Python.  (1.5 is used
by grail, I guess; 2.1 seems to be prefered by Pmw/Tk support...
py-imagingtk has started building 2.0, I think...)

I like Python as a language, but I don't really need 6 versions of it; and
I certainly might want to use Pmw concurrently with the imaging stuff.

Is it just that some stuff uses (e.g.) Python 1.5, and no one has got
around to updating it?  Or does (e.g.) grail really *need* 1.5?  Or is
there some way that I can tell pkgsrc, "Put everything on Python 2.2 with
pthreads"?  If so, it seems desirable that there should be a default
setting so that you normally *do* get one version of Python.  If it'll
help, I can send-pr this, but I thought that I'd start by asking.

Thanks for listening.

  ``I probably don't know what I'm talking about.''