Subject: Re: Why do things just break without warning?
To: Paul <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2002 01:20:07
On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 12:02:53AM +0000, Paul wrote:

> I learnt the hard way recently about "make update".

Well, ok, there is a risk in unbuildable and missing packages if you use
make update. But I managed to get through all the build process.

But the real question is: why do pkgs change their behaviour in
realy important ways (i.e. config directory moves) without proper notice?

Why does the install script not arrange for old, existing configurations to
survive?

The other (unasked yet) question is why gnome-terminal dumps core now on
each invocation.

And (but that may be just me) will the configuration directory remain the same
if I move all my data over there now - or will it move back or to some yet
unknown place with the next update?

Don't get me wrong, I *realy* like pkgsrc and it usually saves me lots of
work. But some times it seems pkgs get updated without even trying them
or by people not using that pkg in a real installation.

But maybe I just did something realy stupid, now have a very inconsistent
state and all will be good when I rebuild everything tomorrow? Too late
now, must stop ranting - sorry folks.

Martin