Subject: Re: Why do things just break without warning?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Paul <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2002 00:02:53
Martin,

I learnt the hard way recently about "make update".  Some
interesting advice I was given was the following:
[hope he doesn't mind me repeating this , but it's public
domain in the archives now anyway.]

   "make update" is dangerous, basically.  useful, but dangerous...

one thing i do to avoid potential lossage is to use "pkg_tarup" (see
pkgsrc/pkgtools) on all the packages i see related to the one that
i wanted to upgrade, including dependancies, etc., of all the packages
this package depends on.  that way i have a binary package of the
things i need should i need to update stuff.

another related trick is to pkg_tarup the packages that also depend
on this packages depends, pkg_delete them, update, and pkg_add the
other packages back - this should work in nearly all cases (ones that
won't are when, eg, a shared library major is bumped.)

all these technique's are my own and are probably not well endorsed
by the pkgsrc team :-)

Personally I take this to mean just do pkg_delete  and then
make  and make install to get the pkg wanted. This way you
don't lose all your binaries. make update does "everything".

hope this helps,
Paul.

Martin Husemann wrote:

> So I started an innocent "make update" on one of my machines, ended up picking
> up the latest and greatest png stuff ... and finaly had a completly unuseable
> system again.
>
> Great.
>
> Apparently the meta pkg "gnome" had been moved. Pkgsrc did not deal with this
> at all. Ok, after some digging around I found out what happened and started
> another update in meta-pkgs/gnome. This broke, since xchat has been split
> into xchat-gnome and whatever. No big deal, I just deleted it and fired up
> the update again.
>
> I have most of my pkgs reinstalled now (only about 8 hours later), but still
> can't log into my system the usual way - someone apparently decided we need
> to move a few directories around. Now it's no longer /usr/X11R6/etc/gnome
> (sure, looks wrong), but /var/gnome (sure looks wrong too).
>
> Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find any notice of this, no message displayed, no
> heads up - but maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places.
>
> So what's the deal? You don't realy want me to ln -s /usr/X11R6/etc /var/gnome ?
>
> Martin

Paul