Subject: Why do things just break without warning?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2002 00:27:18
So I started an innocent "make update" on one of my machines, ended up picking
up the latest and greatest png stuff ... and finaly had a completly unuseable
system again.

Great.

Apparently the meta pkg "gnome" had been moved. Pkgsrc did not deal with this
at all. Ok, after some digging around I found out what happened and started
another update in meta-pkgs/gnome. This broke, since xchat has been split
into xchat-gnome and whatever. No big deal, I just deleted it and fired up
the update again.

I have most of my pkgs reinstalled now (only about 8 hours later), but still
can't log into my system the usual way - someone apparently decided we need
to move a few directories around. Now it's no longer /usr/X11R6/etc/gnome
(sure, looks wrong), but /var/gnome (sure looks wrong too).

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find any notice of this, no message displayed, no
heads up - but maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places.

So what's the deal? You don't realy want me to ln -s /usr/X11R6/etc /var/gnome ?

Martin