Subject: Re: bootstrap-pkgsrc on IRIX
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2002 19:13:09
Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote:

> [Resending; the mail probably got filtered out due to the attachments
>  which can now be found at
>  http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~jschauma/netbsd/irix.bootstrap-pkgsrc.tar.bz2]

> The pkgsrc-tools that I bootstrapped with these patches seem to work,
> even though I ran into a few issues that will need some more attention.
> So far I've installed libtool-base, digest, gettext-lib and gzip-base
> using pkgsrc on IRIX, but will need to look into an issue with gtexinfo
> (I believe it's got to do with buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc).

Alright, I don't know why for sure, but when installing gtexinfo,
buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc (gtexinfo/work/.buildlink/bin/cc) does
not seem to quote everything correctly: -DLOCALEDIR=\"lib\" becomes
-DLOCALEDIR=\lib\, and ultimately the compilation fails.  Adding an
additional '\' to
'/usr/pkgsrc/devel/gtexinfo/work/.buildlink/bin/.logic-trans' manually
after the error occurs fixes the problem and gtexinfo installs fine.

The weird thing is, that this problem does not occur anywhere else (so
far), so I suspect that my analysis is flawed.  If anybody wants to take
a look at that, I'd appreciate it.

But, on the bright side, otherwise pkgsrc on IRIX seems to work quite
ok, I've started to add packages:

# pkg_info
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb9 Generic shared library support script (the
script itself)
gtexinfo-4.2        GNU info file manipulation utilities
digest-20020726     Message digest wrapper utility
gettext-lib-0.10.35nb1 tools for providing messages in different
languages, libintl only
gzip-base-1.2.4a    Compress or expand files
cvs-1.11nb2         Concurrent Versions System
perl-5.6.1nb7       Practical Extraction and Report Language
# uname -a
IRIX64 tsingtao 6.5 11051732 IP30 mips
#

I'd like to commit the bootstrap-pkgsrc changes possibly this weekend
(Sunday) if nobody has any objections or improvements (the above problem
are not related to the bootstrapping).  Would that be ok?

-Jan

--
"The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character
attributes of New Yorkers, common sense snuck in  at number 79."