Subject: Re: bootstrap-pkgsrc on IRIX
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2002 19:13:09
Jan Schaumann <> wrote:
> [Resending; the mail probably got filtered out due to the attachments
>  which can now be found at
> The pkgsrc-tools that I bootstrapped with these patches seem to work,
> even though I ran into a few issues that will need some more attention.
> So far I've installed libtool-base, digest, gettext-lib and gzip-base
> using pkgsrc on IRIX, but will need to look into an issue with gtexinfo
> (I believe it's got to do with buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc).

Alright, I don't know why for sure, but when installing gtexinfo,
buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc (gtexinfo/work/.buildlink/bin/cc) does
not seem to quote everything correctly: -DLOCALEDIR=\"lib\" becomes
-DLOCALEDIR=\lib\, and ultimately the compilation fails.  Adding an
additional '\' to
'/usr/pkgsrc/devel/gtexinfo/work/.buildlink/bin/.logic-trans' manually
after the error occurs fixes the problem and gtexinfo installs fine.

The weird thing is, that this problem does not occur anywhere else (so
far), so I suspect that my analysis is flawed.  If anybody wants to take
a look at that, I'd appreciate it.

But, on the bright side, otherwise pkgsrc on IRIX seems to work quite
ok, I've started to add packages:

# pkg_info
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb9 Generic shared library support script (the
script itself)
gtexinfo-4.2        GNU info file manipulation utilities
digest-20020726     Message digest wrapper utility
gettext-lib-0.10.35nb1 tools for providing messages in different
languages, libintl only
gzip-base-1.2.4a    Compress or expand files
cvs-1.11nb2         Concurrent Versions System
perl-5.6.1nb7       Practical Extraction and Report Language
# uname -a
IRIX64 tsingtao 6.5 11051732 IP30 mips

I'd like to commit the bootstrap-pkgsrc changes possibly this weekend
(Sunday) if nobody has any objections or improvements (the above problem
are not related to the bootstrapping).  Would that be ok?

"The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character
attributes of New Yorkers, common sense snuck in  at number 79."