Subject: Re: new catgegory pkgsrc/gis
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2002 08:23:33

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00:04AM +1030, wulf@ping.net.au wrote:
> > > Having said all of that, I'd really like to see gis packages, and,
> > > yes, if we get a critical mass (there are currently 8 packages in the
> > > ham category, which probably gives a decent rule of thumb to "critical
> > > mass"), then we'll make a separate category for them. Let's start walking
> > > before we can run, though, and port these packages to NetBSD...
> >
> > I don't care about the critical mass, but I do care when it comes to a
> > descriptive category that indicates the type of applications it hosts
> > by virtue of its title. This gives those searching for a particular type of
> > application a real chance to find what they are looking for. Many times
> > did I search for applications only to find them in categories that
> > were the least I expected.
> >
> > Do you think that 6 GIS packages are a good starting point sufficient
> > to make you change your mind? There is plenty more to come with
> > applications such as GRASS, MITAB etc... plus those that already exist in
> > the current pkgsrc tree such as dgsip, gmt etc. If so, I will start
> > submitting packages as soons as the GIS category is created.
>
> If we had 6 GIS packages, as I wrote above, then that would probably
> be good enough, yes.
>
> > Alternatively they are keept in my local packages source tree amongst
> > many other applications that haven't found resonance and interest
> > from within the NetBSD community.
>
> I think this is a great pity - if you keep them there, then no-one
> benefits from your work. You won't find resonance or interest unless
> you're prepared to give people the chance to use the things.
>
> OTOH, I suppose we could add the "psychic:" method to the current
> "http:" and "ftp:" methods we have for downloading via pkg_add(1).

I don't know how many packages I've itemized in my first email without looking
into the archieve, but there are six new packages plus those that already
exist in other categories of which two are mentioned above.  With this in
mind can you create the pkgsrc/gis infrastructurei enabling me to start
submitting these packages?

Packages that I create are/were used locally and hence it is not a waste of
my efforts and those not submitted simply didn't find someone willing
to test it e.g. gnat, a ada compiler based on gcc-3.x.

cheerio Berndt