Subject: Re: bootstrap-pkgsrc on IRIX
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/26/2002 12:45:31
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:32:39PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> [Resending; the mail probably got filtered out due to the attachments
>  which can now be found at
>  http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~jschauma/netbsd/irix.bootstrap-pkgsrc.tar.bz2]
>
> Hi all,
>
> Attached are patches and additional files that will bring
> bootstrap-pkgsrc to IRIX (and IRIX64).  If somebody could look over
> those and make improvements/suggestions etc. before I commit it I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> You will notice that this kit also builds and installs NetBSD's
> 'install', as taken from /usr/src/usr.sbin/xinstall -- that is b/c IRIX'
> install uses '-u user' instead of '-o user'.  I figured other operating
> systems might also have (otherwise) incompatible install's, so I
> included it.
>
> IRIX has /usr/freeware/bin, where GNU tools etc. may be installed --
> I've tried to not rely on the existence of these tools, as I'm not sure
> if other IRIX installations might have left these out.
>
> The pkgsrc-tools that I bootstrapped with these patches seem to work,
> even though I ran into a few issues that will need some more attention.
> So far I've installed libtool-base, digest, gettext-lib and gzip-base
> using pkgsrc on IRIX, but will need to look into an issue with gtexinfo
> (I believe it's got to do with buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc).
>
> As I said, comments welcome...

For bootstrap-pkgsrc:

It would be nice if you added commented out "need_bsd_install=no" to the
other operating systems, for consistency

I'm not sure why you need an "opsys=IRIX" in there - what's returned
by uname -s?  IRIX5, IRIX6, etc?

We should gather together the cpp-definitions which are used by each port -
e.g. __sgi__ for IRIX, __NetBSD__ etc

I've still to look into the other changes, but this looks REALLY useful,
thanks.

Take care,
Alistair