Subject: patches for different operating systems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2002 15:22:58
Packages.txt says "This [patches] directory contains files that are used
by the patch(1) command to modify the sources as distributed in the
distribution file into a form that will compile and run perfectly on
NetBSD."

According to "OS-dependent patches?" thread, patches should be built to
work under any OS.

Why does it say "compile and run perfectly on NetBSD" but the build
reports "Applying ${OPSYS} patches for ..."?

This makes it appear to be specific patches for specific OS, like,
"Linux".

Could it just say "Applying patches for ..."?

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions or can point me to few examples
of portable patches?

For example, checking for OPSYS within Makefiles?

I noticed this, because devel/popt's patch-ab is OPSYS specific. It forces
uses of -lintl, althought libintl is not needed for some operating
systems.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/