Subject: Re: bootstrap-pkgsrc on IRIX
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2002 11:28:51
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Jan Schaumann wrote:

[snip]
> IRIX has /usr/freeware/bin, where GNU tools etc. may be installed --
> I've tried to not rely on the existence of these tools, as I'm not sure
> if other IRIX installations might have left these out.
>
> The pkgsrc-tools that I bootstrapped with these patches seem to work,
> even though I ran into a few issues that will need some more attention.
> So far I've installed libtool-base, digest, gettext-lib and gzip-base
> using pkgsrc on IRIX, but will need to look into an issue with gtexinfo
> (I believe it's got to do with buildlink2's shell-wrapper for cc).
>
> As I said, comments welcome...

I frequently have trouble with stuff in /usr/freeware/bin either being
dreadfully out of date (even on the latest CDs) or just plain broken[1].
Even if the latest freeware CDs contain the latest updates, I really don't
relish the thought of doing the Irix CD Shuffle unless it's the only way
to fix a security problem.  Having pkgsrc on Irix will be a godsend.

[1] In particular, ncurses.  While compiling Frotz on Irix, I discovered
that the ncurses 5.0 install from the freeware CD is broken.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu