Subject: Re: html doc location
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2002 16:38:29
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:02:32 +0000, Andrew Grillet <andrew@grillet.co.uk>
wrote:
> There is also stuff
> like mgetty+sendfax, which installs sample files in
> /usr/local/share/examples - undoubtably the correct place, but which
> contain details of your dialup lines you might wish secret (icluding
> how many there are).

Different installations get different sample files, depending on the
available hardware at the time of installation?  Well, at least it's in
/usr/*local*/share/examples, but still.

I imagine a site might publish /usr/share with the strong and reasonable
expectation that it's *shareable*, read-only, architecture-independent
information.  Any local dependencies belong elsewhere.  It's not exactly
novel to NFS-mount /usr/share, right?

Looking again at hier(7), I would say it's a bug to install any
site-specific data in /usr/share (and, by extension, /usr/pkg/share).
There's a strong theme in it and other such documents of segregating by
criticality and sensitivity.

--jkl