Subject: html doc location
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2002 11:40:12
Is there an agreed-upon place for html documentation?

/usr/share/doc/html/ntp/ #only base example

/usr/pkg/share/<package>
/usr/pkg/share/doc/<package>
/usr/pkg/share/doc/html/<package>

I like /usr/pkg/share/doc/<package> myself, because it's documentation,
although I really don't understand what's wrong with
/usr/share/doc/<package>.  If the package has other things to share, I can
see /usr/pkg/share/<package>, although sometimes that's misused (cf.
/usr/pkg/share/lynx/lynx.cfg, should be /usr/pkg/etc/lynx.cfg?).

I don't like /usr/pkg/share/doc/html/<package> because I generally don't
like naming directories according to the format of its files' contents.  I
look for documentation for <package>; the format of that documentation is
not in my search criteria.

I'm also looking for some autotool advice wrt this topic.  The FreeTDS
project has a user guide, maintained in sgml.  The distribution tarball
contains a tarball (you read that right) of the html version of the user
guide, generated with jade.  How can I convince "make install" to unpack
the userguide html somewhere, and how should I indicate the target
location?

Many thanks for you advice.

--jkl