Subject: Re: bsetroot in {black,open}box
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2002 17:18:25
"Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, November 20, 2002 at 16:53:54 (-0500), Jan Schaumann wrote: ]

> To me a "theme" is a description of a style and a collection of some
> images and maybe some text messages.

How does a description of a style get the collection of images to be
displayed?

> How dose a "theme" call a program!?!?!?

If the theme includes a picture for the root-window, the theme will have
to call a program to set the root-window.  In various window-managers,
this is part of the window-manager's capabilities; in blackbox and
openbox it is not, which is why these themes call bsetroot or bsetbg
(and can, if they like, call any other program).

Whether or not this is a good idea is not the question (which doesn't
have a definite answer anyway).

> > Since these tools are useful without either of the window managers, I
> > imported them as a separate package.
>
> that doesn't really help in the long run, does it?

Yes it does.  Now both (maybe three in the future if we include
hackedbox, maybe more if more forks arise) window managers can use these
tools and both can share themes without the user having to patch the
themes.

> besides, there are already lots of equivalent tools, no?  including one
> that comes by default with every X11 install:  xsetroot.

You may discuss the resons for not using xsetroot and using bsetroot
instead with the people who wrote blackbox/openbox and bsetroot.  This
is not my concern.  :)

-Jan

--
I'm not even supposed to be here today!