Subject: Re: bsetroot in {black,open}box
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2002 15:03:00
[ On Wednesday, November 20, 2002 at 11:50:10 (-0500), Jan Schaumann wrote: ]
> Subject: bsetroot in {black,open}box
>
> In PR pkg/19107, there is a package for the openbox window manager.
> Openbox is a fork of Blackbox, and uses two tools that are part of
> Blackbox' PLIST, namely bsetroot and bsetbg (as well as their respective
> man-pages).  It is not desirable to have these two packages conflict for
> this -- the tools are merely used to set the background in their themes
> (which can be shared among the two versions).
>
> So the dilemma is, how to have these packages install the same files
> without conflicting?

Change their names in one of the packages (openbox -- it came second)

> Renaming the tools is not an option, as the window managers currently
> can (and should) share themes by using the same commands.

I'd suggest fixing the code in openbox so that it calls the newly named
program that'll be installed by openbox.

(or am I missing some dynamic/interpreted in these "themes" that might
cause problems -- in which case these programs are poorly designed and
maybe should just have hard conflicts against each other in pkgsrc)

--
								Greg A. Woods