Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/16/2002 11:30:37
>>Anyways for some consistency, I propose we provide a setting, like
>>PKG_VARDIR which could default to ${PREFIX}/var.
>

> No, please no.  That's a very BAD idea.
>
> All files matching the criteria for the /var hierarchy should, by
> default, always be put in one lone /var.

I don't understand this approach. Why do have all users of NetBSD be
forced to use this scheme, just because YOU think it's mandatory? Having
a configuration option with a reasonable default is (to me) celarly
better than a hardwired solution.

As to whether the default should be /var/pkg or /usr/pkg/var or anything
else, is another question.

mortee