Subject: packages that are same as NetBSD base?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2002 11:02:29
Why do some packages check if software is already in the base (default)
installs?

For example, sysutils/user doesn't want to install if it isn't NetBSD and
/usr/sbin/user exists.

This doesn't matter.

Does it matter if you choose to install both /usr/pkg/sbin/useradd and
/usr/sbin/useradd?

Other packages also don't want to install too.

The reason I am asking is because I have packaged math/bc, editors/ged,
sysutils/file, sysutils/vixie-cron, misc/man-db, and other packages
containing nearly same software with same basenames as those installed
under base system.

(Okay, ged isn't a good example;  I prefer it to be called "ed", but that
is a different GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX discussion.)

Having same basename is already fine: see print/cups/PLIST.

Any comments?

Should we get rid of these limitations?

   Jeremy C. Reed -- who now has 18 packages to send-pr ...
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/