Subject: Re: pkg/etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.donf (Was: Re: BIND DoS and remote compromise issues)
To: Sebastian Krohn <seb@gaia.sunn.de>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2002 16:26:47
>> OK, I just noticed that pkg_add added "named9" in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.
>> I could copy that to /etc/rc.d, but then how do I get named9 to
>> launch? Do I simply say "named=NO" and "named9=YES" in /etc/rc.conf?
>
>This came up in tech-security ...
>
>Now i've wondering why the bootup-scripts doesn't search this directory
>just like /etc/rc.d/ too?
>
>It would be much more nicer than move the scripts from /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
>to /etc/rc.d everytime i install a new package or even link it with
>/etc/rc.d. (i normally do so)
>
>comments?

/etc/rc does this:

	files=$(rcorder -s nostart ${rc_rcorder_flags} /etc/rc.d/*)

and you could add a reference to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* there if you
like, but if /usr isn't mounted when init starts rc, those programs
won't start.  this is why it's recommended that you copy the scripts.

>(maybe it's a little bit off-topic here?)

(nah...don't think so)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."