Subject: Re: alternate pkg tree
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2002 11:47:40

>>  This functionality already exists, just use pkgsrc/mk/bulk/mksandbox.

James> I didn't know about mksandbox, thanks.

James> Trying to understand the script by reading it, it seems to do
James> just what I want.  The only trick appears to be merging the
James> /etc directories, if need be.

The easiest is probably to build binary packages, as someone else
mentioned. I.e., just use "make package" instead of "make
install". After that your "recipe" for switching over to the new
packages would be something like:

	  mv /usr/pkg /usr/pkg.old
	  mv /var/db/pkg /var/db/pkg.old
	  pkg_add /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All/*

The /etc files will be taken care of by pkg_add just as for a "make install".

James> Should Packages.txt be updated to mention this script?

Yes, I guess it should.

Kind regards,

        -- Urban