Subject: various pkgsrc for Linux
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2002 22:23:50
I have made several pkgsrc entries for use on Linux systems.

Hopefully, soon I will have a self-hosting Linux systems that all software
is installed via NetBSD packages!

For example, installed on one of my Linux systems:

autoconf-2.54       Generates automatic source code configuration scripts
automake-1.7.1      GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
bash-2.05nb2        The GNU Bourne Again Shell
binutils-2.11.2     GNU binary utilities
bison-1.35          GNU yacc(1) replacement
bzip2-1.0.2         Block-sorting file compressor
diffutils-2.7       GNU diff utilities - find the differences between files
digest-20010807     Message digest wrapper utility
e2fsprogs-1.19      Second extended file system (ext2fs) management programs
file-3.39           tool for determining file type
fileutils-4.1.8nb1  GNU file management utilities
findutils-4.1nb1    The GNU find, xargs and locate utilities
flex-2.5.4a         fast clone of lex(1), the lexical scanner generator
gawk-3.1.0          GNU awk
gcc-2.95.3          GNU Compiler Collection
gethost-0.03        hostname and IP resolver for testing /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf
gettext-0.10.35nb2  tools for providing messages in different languages
gettext-lib-0.10.35nb1 tools for providing messages in different languages, libintl only
gettext-m4-0.10.35  autoconf/automake m4 files for GNU NLS library
glib2-2.0.6nb2      Some useful routines for C programming
gmake-3.80          GNU version of 'make' utility
grep-2.5            GNU grep
groff-1.16.1        GNU roff text processing suite
gsed-3.02           GNU version of sed
gtar-base-1.12      The GNU tape archiver with remote magnetic tape support
gtexinfo-4.2        GNU info file manipulation utilities
gzip-1.2.4a         The "meta-package" for the GZIP compression utility
gzip-base-1.2.4a    Compress or expand files
gzip-info-1.2.4a    Info format documentation for the GZIP utility
less-374            pager similar to more and pg
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb9 Generic shared library support script (the script itself)
lilo-22.3.3         Generic boot loader for Linux
m4-1.4              GNU version of Unix m4 macro-processor
nasm-0.98           General-purpose multi-platform x86 assembler
ncurses-5.2         CRT screen handling and optimization package
net-tools-1.60      Network configuration and status tools for Linux
netkit-base-0.17    The inetd super server and ping
papersize-1.0.4     Manipulate the default papersize in certain packages
patch-2.5.4         Patch files using diff output
perl-5.6.1nb7       Practical Extraction and Report Language
pkgconfig-0.13.0    system for managing library compile/link flags
procps-3.0.5        The Linux /proc file system utilities
psutils-1.17        Utilities for manipulating PostScript documents
sh-utils-2.0nb1     GNU shell utilities
shadow-4.0.3        passwd database and user administration tools for Linux
sysklogd-1.4.1      System and kernel log daemons for Linux
sysvinit-2.84       The Linux System V init and miscellaneous Linux tools
tcp_wrappers-7.6.1nb1 Monitor and filter incoming requests for network services
textutils-2.0       GNU text utilities
util-linux-2.11w    Essential utilities for any Linux system
vim-6.1.0           Vim editor (vi clone) without gui
vim-share-6.1.0     Data files for the vim editor (vi clone)
vixie-cron-4.0.1    Execute and maintain scheduled commands
zlib-1.1.4          General purpose data compression library

Here are some of the packages I made:

http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-vixie-cron.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-util-linux.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-sysklogd.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-sysvinit.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-shadow.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-procps.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-lilo.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-net-tools.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-net-netkit-base.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-sysutils-file.tar.gz
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-editors-ged.tar.gz

I will PR these after I fully test under NetBSD too. (Or mark that they
don't work under NetBSD.)

(Note for GNU ed(1) pkgsrc, please set GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX to what you
want. I set it to nothing.)

I also have:
misc/linux-kernel -- not finished
misc/man -- not finished

Also, net-tools has hostname(1) and so does sh-utils. I'll need to pick
one.

Soon I will pkgsrc-ize a mailx(1) (probably NetBSD's mail(1)), modutils,
MAKEDEV script (for Linux), and a few basic, ready-to-use /etc configs.

Also, I plan on adding a variable for when set it will also setup build or
regular dependencies for common stuff, like libc and regular, basic shell
tools.

And maybe I will add a variable when set and only used for a small amount
of packages, these packages will also install copies directly to a /bin
and /sbin (and modify PLISTs accordingly).

Anyways, please send your feedback.

Does anyone want to help?

Does anyone have a Linux system we can test on and do some bulk builds?

Can anyone test these under another OS?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. BSD is so much easier! Chasing down all these "base" tools has not
been fun. I see there are various different versions, maintained by
various people (or projects) with patches every which way. It is
interesting to note that some non-Debian-based distributions actually use
Debian tarballs and diffs, because the original code is so poorly
maintained.