Subject: various pkgsrc for Linux
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2002 22:23:50
I have made several pkgsrc entries for use on Linux systems.

Hopefully, soon I will have a self-hosting Linux systems that all software
is installed via NetBSD packages!

For example, installed on one of my Linux systems:

autoconf-2.54       Generates automatic source code configuration scripts
automake-1.7.1      GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
bash-2.05nb2        The GNU Bourne Again Shell
binutils-2.11.2     GNU binary utilities
bison-1.35          GNU yacc(1) replacement
bzip2-1.0.2         Block-sorting file compressor
diffutils-2.7       GNU diff utilities - find the differences between files
digest-20010807     Message digest wrapper utility
e2fsprogs-1.19      Second extended file system (ext2fs) management programs
file-3.39           tool for determining file type
fileutils-4.1.8nb1  GNU file management utilities
findutils-4.1nb1    The GNU find, xargs and locate utilities
flex-2.5.4a         fast clone of lex(1), the lexical scanner generator
gawk-3.1.0          GNU awk
gcc-2.95.3          GNU Compiler Collection
gethost-0.03        hostname and IP resolver for testing /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf
gettext-0.10.35nb2  tools for providing messages in different languages
gettext-lib-0.10.35nb1 tools for providing messages in different languages, libintl only
gettext-m4-0.10.35  autoconf/automake m4 files for GNU NLS library
glib2-2.0.6nb2      Some useful routines for C programming
gmake-3.80          GNU version of 'make' utility
grep-2.5            GNU grep
groff-1.16.1        GNU roff text processing suite
gsed-3.02           GNU version of sed
gtar-base-1.12      The GNU tape archiver with remote magnetic tape support
gtexinfo-4.2        GNU info file manipulation utilities
gzip-1.2.4a         The "meta-package" for the GZIP compression utility
gzip-base-1.2.4a    Compress or expand files
gzip-info-1.2.4a    Info format documentation for the GZIP utility
less-374            pager similar to more and pg
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb9 Generic shared library support script (the script itself)
lilo-22.3.3         Generic boot loader for Linux
m4-1.4              GNU version of Unix m4 macro-processor
nasm-0.98           General-purpose multi-platform x86 assembler
ncurses-5.2         CRT screen handling and optimization package
net-tools-1.60      Network configuration and status tools for Linux
netkit-base-0.17    The inetd super server and ping
papersize-1.0.4     Manipulate the default papersize in certain packages
patch-2.5.4         Patch files using diff output
perl-5.6.1nb7       Practical Extraction and Report Language
pkgconfig-0.13.0    system for managing library compile/link flags
procps-3.0.5        The Linux /proc file system utilities
psutils-1.17        Utilities for manipulating PostScript documents
sh-utils-2.0nb1     GNU shell utilities
shadow-4.0.3        passwd database and user administration tools for Linux
sysklogd-1.4.1      System and kernel log daemons for Linux
sysvinit-2.84       The Linux System V init and miscellaneous Linux tools
tcp_wrappers-7.6.1nb1 Monitor and filter incoming requests for network services
textutils-2.0       GNU text utilities
util-linux-2.11w    Essential utilities for any Linux system
vim-6.1.0           Vim editor (vi clone) without gui
vim-share-6.1.0     Data files for the vim editor (vi clone)
vixie-cron-4.0.1    Execute and maintain scheduled commands
zlib-1.1.4          General purpose data compression library

Here are some of the packages I made:

I will PR these after I fully test under NetBSD too. (Or mark that they
don't work under NetBSD.)

(Note for GNU ed(1) pkgsrc, please set GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX to what you
want. I set it to nothing.)

I also have:
misc/linux-kernel -- not finished
misc/man -- not finished

Also, net-tools has hostname(1) and so does sh-utils. I'll need to pick

Soon I will pkgsrc-ize a mailx(1) (probably NetBSD's mail(1)), modutils,
MAKEDEV script (for Linux), and a few basic, ready-to-use /etc configs.

Also, I plan on adding a variable for when set it will also setup build or
regular dependencies for common stuff, like libc and regular, basic shell

And maybe I will add a variable when set and only used for a small amount
of packages, these packages will also install copies directly to a /bin
and /sbin (and modify PLISTs accordingly).

Anyways, please send your feedback.

Does anyone want to help?

Does anyone have a Linux system we can test on and do some bulk builds?

Can anyone test these under another OS?

   Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. BSD is so much easier! Chasing down all these "base" tools has not
been fun. I see there are various different versions, maintained by
various people (or projects) with patches every which way. It is
interesting to note that some non-Debian-based distributions actually use
Debian tarballs and diffs, because the original code is so poorly