Subject: Re: A more effecient way of handeling dependiencies?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@greywolf.workofstone.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/04/2002 10:47:21
>> I recently updated a number of packages on my system, and in a couple
>> of cases I ran in to problems where either parts, or entire groups
>> of applications were reqcompiled multiple times for each dependency.
>
>How did you do this?

I just did this:

  # cd /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pth
  # make update

The system then uninstalled OpenOffice, KDE3, Mozilla (one by one) after
pth was done and rebuilt them all.  I'm assuming the packages system was
smart enough to know that those apps were dependent on pth and would require
rebuilding to work with the new version.

KDE3 was uninstalled and rebuilt again (along with qt3-tools and some
other apps) when I did a `make update` in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/qt3-libs.

-Sean