Subject: Re: packages writing files out of LOCALBASE
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2002 16:18:37
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Some packages, bash is one, should be considered extensions to the OS, not
> applications.  Really, I think it's a shame bash doesn't get installed
> right into /usr/bin.

For simplicity of OS upgrades, it is nice that the packages are separated
from the main OS.

For the simplicity of software licensing, it is nice to have the base free
from potential licensing problems. (That is not done yet.)

Off-topic for this forum: but maybe ksh could de modified a little more so
it behaves a little more like bash. I think that would be good.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/