Subject: Re: package can be reinstalled without deleting first
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2002 22:04:35
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 09:04:47PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I built a vixie-cron pkgsrc but I can "make install" it again and again
> without the "is already installed" message and "pkg_delete" suggestion.

[snip]

> # pkg_info -e vixie-cron_4.0_b1
> vixie-cron_4.0_b1

I think it's because of the package name -- pkg_info (I think) assumes that
package names are of the form "pkgbase-NNN" where "NNN" is the version
number of the package.  In this case, it doesn't find a version number and
probably causes mysterious breakage.  Try changing the package name to
"vixie-cron-4.0b1", or if this is the beta version leading up to a 4.0
release, then maybe "vixie-cron-3.99b1" might be better.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>