Subject: RUBY_ARCH
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2002 15:47:24
Currently all ruby-derived pkgsrc entries are slightly broken on
Solaris machines, due to the fact that ruby-base/Makefile.common
defines RUBY_ARCH as ${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM:S/--/-/}, yet ruby
is configured (at least on my machine) to use "sparc-solaris2"

I haven't dug deep into the way extconf.rb etc work, but I'd
imagine the correct fix is to patch ruby-base, rather than add
.if (${OPSYS} == "SunOS") to each ruby-derived pkgsrc entry and
modify RUBY_ARCH.  I can only think that setting it as default
to "sparc-sun-solaris" may cause problems with shared libraries
loaded from 2.6 machines when the libraries were compiled on >2.7

It's not a huge problem, only means that PLISTs are broken, but
it may lead to other issues in the future.  Just wondering whether
anyone is looking at it, or if there are any comments on the above?

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services
24x7 Hotline: +44 (0)1628 407 777 (x37777) - http://support.bbc.co.uk/