Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2002 11:22:59
[ On Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 13:18:54 (+0200), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR

> > > No, not really, it doesn't at all.  The whole point of "packaging"
> > > software is to carefully manage which files belong to which packages.
> > > While there's no default integration yet with the lists of files which
> > > belong to the main system, this isn't far in coming.  Once you know
> > > the origin and "ownership" of each file then there's absolutely no
> > > need for artifical separation of files from different origins into
> > > different hierarchies and such inappropriate complication can be done
> > > away with.
> >
> > I was under the impression that pkgsrc was designed as a portable
> > package manager, and as such would run many different operating systems.
> > Obviously different operating systems have different ideas on how to
> > implement /etc/rc.d, and installing a NetBSD-style xfstt.sh in /etc/rc.d
> > on a RedHat box may not have the desired effect.
>
> You (Jonathan) are quite correct, Greg Woods is wrong.  Please rest
> assured that Greg Woods does not speak for the NetBSD packages team -
> he is simply a very vocal user of pkgsrc.

You should take a _lot_ more care about what you say is "right" and what
you say is "wrong" Mr. Crooks.  What I said was not wrong in any way,
though it was obviously not intended to cover the entire gamut of pkgsrc
options.  I did not address non-NetBSD systems because there was no hint
in Jonathan's original post that any other system was of interest
w.r.t. this issue.

Clearly the scripts provided as part of some pkgsrc modules are supposed
to be portable to the other types of systems that pkgsrc is supported
on, and indeed that's not too difficult since the command-line interface
defined for NetBSD rc.d scripts is more or less compatible, at least for
the purposes of system startup control, with the startup scripts used on
those other types of systems.

--
								Greg A. Woods