Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR
To: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2002 13:18:54
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:24:26AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:37:34PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > >  Also makes more sense in keeping pkgsrc separate to base.
> >
> > No, not really, it doesn't at all.  The whole point of "packaging"
> > software is to carefully manage which files belong to which packages.
> > While there's no default integration yet with the lists of files which
> > belong to the main system, this isn't far in coming.  Once you know
> > the origin and "ownership" of each file then there's absolutely no
> > need for artifical separation of files from different origins into
> > different hierarchies and such inappropriate complication can be done
> > away with.
>
> I was under the impression that pkgsrc was designed as a portable
> package manager, and as such would run many different operating systems.
> Obviously different operating systems have different ideas on how to
> implement /etc/rc.d, and installing a NetBSD-style xfstt.sh in /etc/rc.d
> on a RedHat box may not have the desired effect.

You (Jonathan) are quite correct, Greg Woods is wrong.  Please rest
assured that Greg Woods does not speak for the NetBSD packages team -
he is simply a very vocal user of pkgsrc.

> Either pkgsrc is NetBSD-only or it isn't.  If it is, then the current
> implementation is correct.  If not, then it needs work to ensure
> NetBSD-style scripts function correctly on non-NetBSD systems and are
> handled properly by the host OS' init style.  From your mail, I get the
> impression that the first is true, however if that's not the case, I
> would like to help work on implementing the second.

We would very much like to get your help in "implementing the second".
pkgsrc runs on many different operating systems, and we would like to
see it run on more.  Anything that can be done to help this is good.

Once again, Greg Woods does not shout for the packages team, the
NetBSD project, or the NetBSD Foundation.

Regards,
Alistair