Subject: Re: pth on alpha [was Re: Multithreading package for NetBSD]]
To: Nick Hudson <>
From: Rhialto <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2002 00:43:17
Nick Hudson <> wrote:
> I did ask for more feedback on pkg/18217 - maybe you didn't get a mail. Check
> the log for the PR for details.

Yes, I must have missed it somehow. I am right now trying again with
xchat, and it fails still but differently now. Could be because I
upgraded the Alpha to 1.6 in the mean time, but the X error isn't there
anymore, or not fatal anyway.

What I did was the following:

I built pth with --enable-syscall-hard. It looks like the logic in the
Makefile only sets that option on m68k now, btw.
I placed the resulting as
/usr/pkg/lib/ I made the symlink point to it.

start xchat. The server list window appears.
Double-click on
The main window appears, showing the text "resolving".
This is printed (or maybe it was earlier, I'm not sure):

Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x1331) in reply type 0x0!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x13fe6 > 0x1331) in reply type 0x18!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x1149b > 0x1331) in reply type 0x16!

The progress bar kept on moving. This lasted forever: it never finished
the resolving, and meanwhile all other window updates did not occur.

When replacing the again with the one I previously
had, xchat works again as normal.

I'll send you a ktrace.out.gz separately.

> Nick
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      -- The evil eye is caused by the black
\X/ rhialto/at/        -- tongue - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4456.