Subject: Re: pkgsrc
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/21/2002 15:32:55
I think it could be useful to provide tarfile downloads of every
individual package. So if you just want pkgsrc for lynx, the download
a lynx.tgz file that when extracted contains www/lynx with DESCR,
Makefile, PLIST, distinfo and patches.

Of course, the mk files will be needed first.

Also, it could be made so something like fetch-list target could also
grab any other dependency tarfiles (as known). And when they are loaded,
it could figure out their dependencies too (and so on).

But then again, I consider that pkgsrc is for developers only. If someone
wants it to be simple and small and quick -- then they can just grab and
install the ready-to-use binary packages.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/