Subject: indent vs. gindent
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2002 13:20:08
Why is gindent a package?  Why is it not /usr/bin/indent?

It has a BSD license and is derived from BSD indent(1), per the man page.
NetBSD's indent is, um, suboptimal.  At least, I couldn't get it to
consistently line up switch statements.

Seems to me it could be treated along the lines of sendmail and bind:
maintained elsewhere but part of NetBSD.

I realize it's not a burning issue, but it's surprisingly used:

$ pkg_info gindent |grep -E '^[a-z].+[0-9]$' |wc -l
      36

I searched the ML but didn't find any discussion.

--jkl