Subject: post mysql setup...
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <kasper37@netzero.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2002 22:17:50
I just did a make and a make install in pkgsrc/databases/mysql-server and after the install I tried starting mysql with safe_mysqld & but it wouldnt start and gave me an error about how there was no mysql user, so I created one with useradd mysql.  I then tried to start it again but it gave me an error about how it couldn't open host.frm.  Assuming this was a permissions thing I chown -R mysql /var/mysql and tried starting again.  It started that time, but my question is why doesn't pkgsrc create the user and set the correct permissions on that directory?  At the very least shouldn't it tell you somewhere that the installation isn't complete (if the post-installation instructions ARE somewhere, could you please point them out) and list what steps still need to be completed before it will run?

Thanks, Dan