Subject: Re: Mplayer and codecs.conf
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/2002 08:46:48
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> I had mplayer 0.90pre6 installed and it worked fine. IIRC, I did not have
> a ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf; although, mplayer runned perfectly. I reinstalled
> my system and compiled mplayer again (now 0.90pre8). This time, it does not
> work (it complains about the missing codecs.conf). It needs it either in
> the home directory or in pkg/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf. It's beeing installed
> in pkg/share/mplayer/codecs.conf...
>
> Is this the expected behavior? Should we install a copy of codecs.conf in
> the etc tree, so mplayer works fine with a fresh installation (i.e., without
> the need to be tuned)?

I think the binary should fall back to "/usr/pkg/share/mplayer", like
it used to.

We don't usually register files in "{PKG_SYSCONFDIR}", and IMO it
doesn't make sense to give these files the site-configuration file
treatment, especially as the file seems to need to be updated with
every pre-release.

Frederick