Subject: Re: sysutils/gnome-vfs2 doesn't compile
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2002 11:45:33
Itojun wrote:

> >I got the following error with latest pkgsrc on -current/i386:
> >../../libgnomevfs/.libs/libgnomevfs-2.so: undefined reference to `bind_textdomain_codeset'
> >Any clues? Someone reported that he got the same problem with 1.6
> >release.
>
> 	bind_textdomain_codeset() is not provided in GNU gettext 0.10.35.
> 	it seems that it was introduced sometime between 0.10.35 and 0.10.40.
> 	our pkgsrc tree has gettext 0.10.35, and it seems that gnome-vfs2
> 	requires more recent one.
>
> 	our BSD-licensed libintl (src/lib/libintl) has a dummy function for
> 	bind_textdomain_codeset(), which does nothing.

You have a problem here.  GNU gettext 0.10.36 introduced a few new
features, which are not 100% compatible with older versions.  You
probably can't install two versions without some manual tweaking.
Especially the backslash handing differs, it uses the C99 syntax.  If
you upgrade to 0.10.40 you would need to check for every application if
all messages are handled properly.  An alternative is to use the
OLD_PO_FILE_OUTPUT and OLD_PO_FILE_INPUT environment variables, like Vim
does.

A dummy bind_textdomain_codeset() is annoying, since autoconf finds it
but doesn't know it doesn't work.  In my opinion it's better to have no
function than a function that doesn't work.

--
From "know your smileys":
 :~)	A man with a tape recorder up his nose

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org          \\\
\\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///