Subject: OpenOffice "NetBSD" port (porting.openoffice.org) (WAS: Re: No
To: Brian de Alwis , <jaco@teaser.fr>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/2002 14:47:38
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 @ 7:59am (-0700), Brian de Alwis wrote:

BdA> Is there a reason why our OpenOffice package is for v641 rather than 1.0?

I looked into this a bit.  The openoffice project is huge, and the code looks
very cumbersome.  That.s kinda crazy how it requires java to build.  That
said, NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/Sparc[64] will probably be the only platforms
with a chance to ever have a chance because of JRE support.

According to:

http://porting.openoffice.org/

There is already a port in place for NetBSD/sparc.  However FreeBSD has a
working port of 1.0.1.  I see that there are 121 patches in the
pkgsrc/misc/openoffice pkg for 641 on i386 alone(1).  Wouldn't it make more
sense to start a separate project for NetBSD/i386 at openoffice.org and merge
all the changes into their CVS tree and then have a liaison with them.  It
just seems more conducive to open-source cooperation that way.

Maybe one day java won.t be a requirement and we can get it for other ports.
At least then we won.t be three revisions behind all the time >:}

-lava

1. In $PKGSRCDIR:

find . -name "patches" > /tmp/patchespath; for a in $(cat /tmp/patchespat h);
	do echo -n $a; ls -la $a|wc -l; done | sort -k 2

....making it the pkgsrc pkg w/ the 3rd most patches 8=)

[snip]
./games/xdoom/patches      32
./news/nn/patches      32
./devel/sdcc/patches      33