Subject: Re: dependencies not found
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2002 11:29:00
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> Well, somebody ordered it, so it's a feature! Most packages will pick
> up on the ${DESTDIR} setting and install to the ${DESTDIR}, but not all,
> so you probably don't want to leave that set anyhow.
>
> I believe what it's for, is so that "make package" with ${DESTDIR} set
> will produce an ordinary binary package, that may be installed (via
> "pkg_add") to the ordinary location, while leaving alone the installed
> packages on the build system. I can't say how well that truly works,
> as I have never tried it, myself.

I see - thanks for the explanation.

This should be documented in packages(7) and/or Packages.txt.  Somebody
actually using this feature should give a brief description of its
usefulness nad note that having DESTDIR set (due to a build) may
interfere with normal package-building behaviour.

-Jan

--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.