Subject: Re: dependencies not found
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2002 10:14:50
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Nun aber die Frage:  Bug oder Feature?
>
> Now the question is:  bug or feature?

Well, somebody ordered it, so it's a feature! Most packages will pick
up on the ${DESTDIR} setting and install to the ${DESTDIR}, but not all,
so you probably don't want to leave that set anyhow.

I believe what it's for, is so that "make package" with ${DESTDIR} set
will produce an ordinary binary package, that may be installed (via
"pkg_add") to the ordinary location, while leaving alone the installed
packages on the build system. I can't say how well that truly works,
as I have never tried it, myself.

Frederick