Subject: Re: RFC: generating menus from packages
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2002 09:50:55
I have different diffs, a few example menu entry data files, a screenshot
and more at . Below are brief
instructions on how to try it.

X-menus   -- ready-to-use (non-packages) menu entries
base-menus  -- ready-to-use menu entries (not packages)
blackbox-menu  -- a script to generate a menu for blackbox
example-screenshot-20020904.png -- image of a blackbox menu (only right
                      two menus were generated from this blackbox-menu)

This is how I use it:
1) make my own personal ~/.menus directory
2) copy in the sample menu entries (from URL) to that directory
3) make a ~/.menus.conf configuration with:
4) configure my current blackbox menu to use (or include) new menu; my
  [submenu] (NetBSD ...)
    [include] (/home/reed/.blackbox/netbsd-menu)
5) run the blackbox-menu script

(The above is not needed. That is just to customize for personal use.)

A pkgsrc maintainer can help by doing:
1) patch pkgsrc/ and mk/
2) patch pkg_install (pkg_add and pkg_create and pkg_delete) and install
3) add MENU definition to package's Makefile; or
3b) create a MENU file containing menu entries.

   Jeremy C. Reed

BSD news ...