Subject: Re: RFC: generating menus from packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2002 15:52:33
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 02:24:18PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> [..]
> > 	It should automatically update the default config file - or a
> > 	file that the default config file automatically includes. I don't
> > 	believe anyone suggested anything else.
>
> Then how am I supposed to delete the wm package if the default config file
> changes?
>
> And what happens if the default config file changes? Do we need to fix all
> packages just to update the wm package?
>
> Or what if I want to switch to a different wm?

	As I understand the mechanism:

	Installing a package with menu entry data
	   - adds menu entry data to a master list
	   - for each package that has expressed an interest in menu entry data,
	     run a script which updates that packages default config file, or
	     file that that package's default config includes. In the event
	     that a package cannot include a generated config file it may make
	     sense to make its default config a symlink to the generated file.

	Installing a package which cares about menu entry data
	   - Register its script, then run it

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --